Re: Devfs, was Re: Migrating to larger numbers

Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.csiro.au)
Wed, 9 Jun 1999 14:22:16 +1000

Jamie Lokier writes:
> Richard Gooch wrote:
> > if all your CD-ROMs devices are unloaded and you have module
> > autoloading, then to find all CD-ROMs on the system, you just do:
> > opendir ("/dev/ide/cd");
> > loop;
> > opendir ("/dev/sr");
> > loop;
> >
> > and your directory scanning code knows that each and every entry
> > (besides "." and "..":-) is a Genuine CD-ROM[tm] that actually exists
> > on your system.
>
> Ugh, it will miss the _other_ CD-ROMs in your system.
>
> /dev/parport/cd
> /dev/pcmcia/cd
> /dev/usb/cd
>
> Doesn't look like the right way to me.

It is the right way. The concept is still valid. Just extend my
example code. It wasn't meant to be complete, just enough to convey
the idea. Did I really have to spell that out?

Also, I expect that a PCMCIA CD-ROM will really be an IDE CD-ROM. A
parport CD-ROM will probably be either IDE or SCSI.

Regards,

Richard....