Re: Migrating to larger numbers

Chris Adams (cadams@ro.com)
8 Jun 1999 22:10:15 -0500

Once upon a time, david parsons <o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s> said:
>In article <linux.kernel.7ITCO6lHw-B@khms.westfalen.de>,
>Kai Henningsen <kaih@khms.westfalen.de> wrote:
>>A struct timeval - indeed, any non-arithmetic type - depends on changing
>>the definition of the C language,
> The C programming language doesn't care what time_t is, because that's
> not part of the C programming language.

Why don't people read? According the K&R, 'time_t' is an arithmetic
type that is defined a part of the standard C library. So, if you want
to change time_t to a struct, you need to re-define the C language (the
standard library is basically part of the language).

--
Chris Adams <cadams@ro.com> - System Administrator
Renaissance Internet Services - IBS Interactive, Inc.