Re: Devfs, was Re: Migrating to larger numbers

Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.csiro.au)
Wed, 9 Jun 1999 08:45:15 +1000

Matthew Kirkwood writes:
> > It's compatible, it's clean, it eliminates /dev admin maintenance.
>
> What /dev admin maintenance? Perhaps my machines don't have enough disks,
> but I have never needed to perform significant work in /dev.

If you install a distribution that supports 100 SCSI discs, you need
1600 entries in /dev just for that. If you decide you'll never have
more than 4 SCSI discs, you're free to delete the entries you don't
need. One day you plug in a 5th disc (shit happens), and you have to
mknod some devices.

A plain RedHat distribution has 1377 device nodes (and only supports 7
SCSI discs).

Regards,

Richard....