Re: Devfs, was Re: Migrating to larger numbers

Matthew Kirkwood (weejock@ferret.lmh.ox.ac.uk)
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 23:24:47 +0100 (GMT)

On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, Paul Jakma wrote:

> devfs is a good thing. I and all the rest who have tried it and use it
> regularly think so.

And those of us who tried it and decided that it's the wrong solution to a
set of non-problems think otherwise.

> It's compatible, it's clean, it eliminates /dev admin maintenance.

What /dev admin maintenance? Perhaps my machines don't have enough disks,
but I have never needed to perform significant work in /dev.

Another spin: if/when we see ACLs in the kernel/ext[23] I could easily
find uses for them in /dev. Will devfs support ACLs at least as soon as
ext2?

> And it works really well.

I can believe that.

Matthew.