Re: Migrating to larger numbers

Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.csiro.au)
Wed, 9 Jun 1999 08:18:09 +1000

H. Peter Anvin writes:
> Dynamic numbers in general are a bad idea, and despite Richard's
> claims, driver writers do get number allocations from me.

Peter, this is FUD. I think you should apologise. I've never said that
you don't hand out major numbers. I said:
> They can't all go running to Peter for an allocation in devices.txt.

That doesn't mean you refuse to hand out numbers. It means it's
impractical for all of them to ask for a number. It makes the process
more complicated for them. It's not an impossible hurdle, but it is
just another psychological barrier. We want to make things as easy for
them as possible. They are after all working in a tight market.

Regards,

Richard....