Re: Migrating to larger numbers

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
8 Jun 1999 14:04:53 -0700

In article <linux.kernel.19990608121009.D13308@hazel>,
Raul Miller <rdm@test.legislate.com> wrote:
>Richard Gooch <rgooch@atnf.csiro.au> wrote:
>> However, for the sake of argument, let's say we write device drivers
>> and make use of dynamic device numbers. I don't actually see where the
>> problem is.
>
>Ok, consider this scenario:
>
>(1) Some application is using device files over NFS. [If this isn't
>happening, there's no problem with 64 bit device numbers.] Let's use
>your "exporting root to legacy machines" case...

That application is probably using the device directory for the
machine it's on, and if it does want to use the device directory
for the server, sensible programming practice would seem to dictate
being able to track changes to the devices, because servers will
go down and have the hardware changed out from under you.

>(3) The NFS server gets taken down for a few minutes and disks get added
>to it. [This is the case where the semantics of the device numbers
>become significant.]

Do applications on other machines care what the devices on the server
are?

____
david parsons \bi/ Danger, will robinson!
\/