Re: [RFC] new bus architecture (+ byte-endianess)

Ralf Baechle (ralf@uni-koblenz.de)
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 13:17:58 +0200

On Mon, Jun 07, 1999 at 02:46:44PM +0200, Martin Mares wrote:

> I'd like to hear the opinion of PPC people, because in case we can get
> automatic conversion LE->BE at no extra cost, DaveM's argument about
> readl_be() being just extra complexity with no benefits is perfectly
> correct.

On MIPS endian conversion isn't supported in kernel mode. Some chipsets
however have external per device endian conversion, most don't. So the
conversion is usually done in software.

Ralf