Re: Hard coding default COM3/4 IRQ.

Richard Zidlicky (Richard.Zidlicky@stud.informatik.uni-erlangen.de)
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 16:42:24 +0200 (METDST)

In revue.linux-kernel you write:

>On Mon, 31 May 1999, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:

>I'm sure that everything you've stated is correct, with respect
>to chips that aren't "as advertised" - however, I've installed
>Windows 95 on a heck of a lot of machines, as well as Win98, and
>I've not yet ever seen it get the modem IRQ wrong. That doesn't
>say that it doesn't - it is just rare if ever (which is a miracle
>for win95). On most of the machines that I get my hands on, the
>modem goes on COM3/IRQ2, because I've yet to have any major
>conflicts statistically speaking.

hm, I have just recently done a port to an architecture (m68k/q40)
where autoprobing will not work for HW implementation reasons - and
it uses serial.c

I would actually feel much better if all irq autoprobing could be
disabled by some global option for all drivers. How about letting
irq_autoprobe return an error code that would signal the driver
that autoprobing must be avoided?
The only work involved would be changing all drivers to actually
evaluate this error code..

Bye
Richard