Re: Migrating to larger numbers

Tue, 8 Jun 1999 15:38:24 +0200

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> You have the completely wrong idea what a device driver is! XF86_SVGA
> is a device driver! gpm is a device driver (mouse driver.)
> magicfilter/ghostscript is a device driver (printer driver.) Neither
> belong in the kernel.

> The whole design philosophy behind this. "Throw all the crap in the
> kernel, it's the easy solution."

devfs is about "put the names where the crap is".
It happens that most of the crap, currently, is in the kernel.

Your XF86 and gpm examples do the same thing but in user space: they
create named pipes when they are loaded.

devfs is equally compatible with either scheme.

(I have no pro- or anti-devfs preference BTW).

-- Jamie