Re: access to proc filesystem from chrooted process

Peter Benie (pjb1008@cam.ac.uk)
Fri, 21 May 1999 19:23:30 +0100

Riley Williams writes ("Re: access to proc filesystem from chrooted process"):
> Hi Peri.
>
> > There is a suggestion in the kernel sources that a chrooted
> > process should only be able to see processes that have the same
> > root or that have a more restricted root.
>
> Unless I'm misunderstanding this, it appears to be pointless since
> only processes chroot'd to / or /proc could see the entries in the
> proc file system anyway, as if they're chroot'd anywhere else, they
> can't even access /proc ???

If you are setting up a server with a chrooted environment for users,
it is useful to have /proc mounted inside the chroot so that programs
like top and ps can work, so yes, users can get at /proc.

Peter