Fw: Annoying GPL issues

Jeff Merkey (jmerkey@timpanogas.com)
Fri, 21 May 1999 10:55:48 -0600

Our attorneys have reviewed the GPL language, and to be honest, it has about
as many holes in it as Jed Clampet's Cabin on the Beverly Hillbillies. The
wind blows right through it. Copyright infringement claims seem to be the
only relief available, but how do you show a damages case when you are
giving the code away for free? The answer is that you really cannot.

There's also the issue of irreparable harm. You might get an injunction
against someone if you can show irreparable harm, but the Federal Rules of
Civil Procedure require that no injunction can be "adverse to the public
interest" or it cannot issue from a court. By definition, open sourcing
is benficial to the public interest, so there is implied consent to use the
code with GPL, even if this runs roughshod over someone's copyrights.

I've heard a lot of "sh_t house" lawyer talk on the net about the GPL
"contaminating upward and downward", but being somewhat of an an expert in
IP law, this position is bunk. So is the mistaken belief that you can draw
a line between "modules" and "compiled code". It's more complicated than
this.

If you give your code away on the net under the GPL, that's just what you've
done. You can get some limited control over releases through the copyright
laws, but it's not clear how far this protection extends since it defeats
the very reason and motivation behind open sourcing code. The best recourse
and the most effective is the one the open source community has been using
for some time, which is to ***OSTRACIZE*** those who break the rules.

I'm not saying that Copyright holders don't have rights, but our review of
the case law in this area shows that legal porecedence is largely undefined.
As companies start to litigate in this arena, this nebulous area may come
into sharper focus.

Jeff