Re: Mouse and keyboard drivers in the Linux Kernel?

Vojtech Pavlik (vojtech-lists@twilight.ucw.cz)
Fri, 21 May 1999 11:32:25 +0200

On Wed, May 19, 1999 at 09:38:55AM -0800, Kendall Bennett wrote:

> One thing has been bothering me for some time
> is that Linux does not appear to have a *full* mouse driver built
> into the kernel.

> Specifically I want a device that maintains a queue of
> events internally including mouse up, mouse down and mouse movement
> events (including a 1ms time stamp for every event so we can tell how
> far apart the events were).

> The MGL's event mechanism requires a keyboard driver that
> allows us to get KEYUP, KEYDOWN and KEYREPEAT events along with a 1ms
> time stamp for all key events. We also need to know the real scan
> code of the keypress, along with the correct ASCII translation for
> the key.

There is such a driver. I'm writing it. It allows all you've mentioned,
and more. Unfortunately, it's still a work in progress, though
it works well for most AT, PS/2 and USB mice and keyboards now.
No serial or bus mouse support at this moment, but that's just a question
of adding a couple modules.

There is no docs yet, that'll come soon. Just a kernel patch:

ftp://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/pub/linux/input/2.3.3-input-34.gz

The patch currently includes not only the generic input code, but also
patches to the virtual console code to allow multihead, and clean up
and modularization patches to the USB code.

Try it; I hope you'll like it.

Vojtech