Re: Dynamic module loading

christian (crr@freemail.com.br)
Thu, 20 May 1999 14:52:34 -0300 (EST)

On Thu, 20 May 1999, Philipp Thomas wrote:

> That's what the -k parameter is for. Load with this, it *will* have the
> (autoclean) :)

Never mind me, I surprise myself sometimes ;)

> >The 'scsi_lowlevel ppa' line in modules.conf is a better solution;
>
> Never seen that one. Care to mail it to me ? I'm always open for alternative
> solutions.

Though I can't test it now - blown up my zip - it's said either
scsi_lowlevel or scsi_hostadapter are called up when sd_mod is going up.
I've got the message archived here somewhere.

> BTW, there is another way to solve this and that's what I'm doing. I just make
> ppa reference a symbol from sd.c, when sd is configured as a module. Thus ppa
> will be directly dependent on sd and depmod will see it and list it. No
> modules.conf entry at all need for this :)

This is, IMHO, the best solution. This way, we don't have to worry about
second-hand aliases. Isn't that what the dependency information is there
for anyway?

On the other hand, scsi presents a special problem because many adapters
can in theory provide service for devices of the same categories. What if
we have two adapters both providing disk services (uncommon, I admit - but
not so in the ppa case) or any same service - what can be done about that?

cr