Re: APM-related crashes (flaky IDE RESET)

Benson Chow (blc@ez0.ezlink.com)
Wed, 19 May 1999 09:52:16 -0600 (MDT)

I had a similar problem, and it seems to afflict certain drives. I still
have a little of a problem but it seems to fix itself.

I'm running on a Toshiba laptop with a Toshiba MK2105MAV drive. My
toshiba is pretty old (p100) and may not have all the power saving
features. On the 2.2.x kernels, a suspend and powerup will cause the hd
subsystem to totally crash just like the olivetti. I have since upgraded
the HD to an IBM and the problem changed to what the toshiba drive did in
2.0.36: it's "busy" but in a few seconds an IDE reset would occur and
everything would be fine and happy again. Weird. Seems in suspend, not
enough state is stored, or the kernel is assuming the hd to be ready
immediately after suspend... or the APM BIOS initialized the HD's
electronics weirdly...

-bc