Re: kernel ooops... no timeout on find

Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Wed, 19 May 1999 03:19:04 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 17 May 1999, Jorge Nerin wrote:

> Well in 2.2.5 I also got a pair of oopses and finds in D state:
[snip VFAT readdir() on 2.2.5]
> SYS_getdents(5, 0xbfffb680, 15729, 0xbfffb680, 0x08068380
>
> And it stops here....

Totally different story. Old implementation of fat_readdirx() was broken
and had buffer overruns. Fixed somewhere about 2.2.[67].

find is most probable victim of whatever fs-related data corruption - it
wanders through everything (well, almost - usually you don't run it on NFS
and procfs) and if there is anything it can stuck on chances are good that
it will. Since oops can't release semaphores... Once you've got it you
have a fair chances that something will stuck on it forever. See above for
reasons why find is the most likely sucker.