Re: Observation and questions

Ian Eure (ieure@crosssound.narrows.com)
Tue, 18 May 1999 14:26:29 -0700

Gary Anderson wrote:

> Well, we have (or had until recently) work being done on three different
> kernel trees:
> 2.0.37 (Thanks, Alan !)
> 2.2.x (Up to 2.2.9 now ?)
> and
> 2.3.x
>
> All at the same time, I think. (And this is just the 'mainline' kernel
> trees.)
>
> Now for the questions:
> 1.) Was a final 2.0.37 ever released (Last I checked we were up to ac-12,
> I think).

No, 2.0.36 was the last `final' 2.0.xx kernel release. there should be a
2.0.37 when it's various issues get sorted out.

> 2.) For the time in the future when I want to go to the 2.2 kernel (It
> seems, from reading this list, to have yet a few bugs^H^H^H^H....errrr
> 'unresolved features') is there a "victims list" of things that need
> to be replaced/removed/upgraded in order to go from 2.0.37 to the
> latest 2.2.x kernel ??

See the Documentation/Changes file in the 2.2.x source tree.

That said, I was able to switch from 2.0.xx to 2.2.xx without breakage
and without package upgrading on my Debian Linux 2.2 system. Debian has
a faster development cycle than other Linux distros though, and there
was work to prepare it for 2.2.x while still in the late 2.1.xxx
kernels. YMMV.

| Ian Eure
<ieure@crosssound.narrows.com>                                 |
| Network Administrator, Cross Sound Appraisal
Company                    |

| "Believe it or not, there's more to being a sysadmin than
rabid         |
| technophilia."         --Annalee Newitz, "Invisible
Heroes"             |