Re: EFS in 2.3.2 ???

Ralf Baechle (ralf@gnu.org)
Mon, 17 May 1999 11:14:39 +0200

On Sun, May 16, 1999 at 02:24:01AM +0100, Riley Williams wrote:

> I note that the 2.3.2 kernel tree includes a new filesystem called
> EFS, but there is apparently no documentation on what it is - no
> entries in Configure.help and nothing elsewhere in the Documentation
> tree either...
>
> Does anybody know anything about this file system and what it's for?

EFS is the filesystem that non-ISO9660 IRIX CDROMs are using. It's also
being used for harddisks but has in IRIX 6.x been replaced by XFS - which
we would be way cooler to have for Linux. The current EFS implementation
seems to be stable but is unfortunately just r/o. Dunno if the current
maintainer of EFS, Al Smith intends to make it r/w which would be way
cooler for Linux / IRIX interoperability than FAT.

Ralf