Re: More capabilities stuff...

Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Mon, 17 May 1999 20:11:27 -0400 (EDT)

John Wojtowicz writes:

>> Linus Torvalds writes:

>>> I may want to _strip_ shellscripts of power.
>
>> I suppose you intend to turn normal user abilities into default
>> capabilities. (the ability to write to a writable file...)
>
> That by definition isn't a privilege.

Sure it is. You don't think of it as one because it is normally given
to every user, but it is a privilege. Opening a network connection is
a privilege. Debugging your own process is a privilege.

It would be very good to take away the right to exec() privileged
executables, so that a cracker with a shell could not attack buggy
privileged executables in the normal manner.

> I would believe that eventually you would want to convert all uid 0
> checks in the kernel to capabilities checks. Then if you've compiled
> the kernel with out capabilities enabled, you'd dummy up the
> effective, permitted and inheritable sets for all uid 0 processes to
> have ALL privileges in it, and all other normal users have NONE in
> their process capability sets. If it is enabled then you perform the
> normal capabilities calculations whenever a process is exec()'ed. Is
> this the plan Linus?

This is what Linux 2.2 already does, except that all users get a full
set of inheritable bits.