Re: 2.2.9 swaps a lot

Tom Holroyd (tomh@nibh.go.jp)
Tue, 18 May 1999 10:59:16 +0900 (JST)

On Mon, 17 May 1999, Alistair Riddell wrote:

>On Fri, 14 May 1999, Tom Holroyd wrote:
>
>> Also, if I kill update it doesn't sync (e.g. I can copy whole directory
>> trees around and wait multiple minutes and never see ANY disk activity
>> until I do a "sync" manually). Is that feature in or out in 2.2.9?
>
>It has been so for many years. That is what update is for - periodically
>flushing disk buffers.

But not in 2.2.8. Apparently the change that made update unnecessary in
2.2.8 was backed out in 2.2.9. <whine>It'd be nice if these things were
included in a README file somewhere in the patch...</whine>

Dr. Tom Holroyd
I would dance and be merry,
Life would be a ding-a-derry,
If I only had a brain.