Re: block-major-xx

Daniel Silverstone (D.Silverstone@ucl.ac.uk)
Mon, 17 May 1999 14:34:39 +0100

Jeff - wrote:

> kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k block-major-8, errno 2
>
> Is block-major-8 an alias for a particular module name?
> If so, how can I find out the actual name.

As a non-kernel-hacker, I also had to work out what the [block,char]-major-xx
things
were. I discovered that they relate to attempts to load handlers for the
/dev/xxxx entries.

Often in /etc/conf.modules (or /etc/modules.conf depending on your setup)
there are a list
of alias block-major-xx nnnnn and alias char-major-xx nnnn entries commented
out.
If you find the relevant one, then you can try un-commenting it to see if
that helps.

Alternatively, try the following...

cd /dev
ls -l | grep "xx, "
(where xx is the number you are referring to, and there is a space after the
comma)
this will tell you which devices use that major number.

I had this problem with "char-major-4" which turns out to be the ttySx
devices.
Thus, go into /etc/conf.modules and add a new alias like
alias char-major-4 serial
if you use serial as a module, or
alias char-major-4 off
if you compile it in (this stops complaints I think)

I hope this helps

Dan