Re: CD-RW

Tethys (tethys@it.newsint.co.uk)
Mon, 17 May 1999 14:11:27 +0100

Mike A. Harris (mharris@ican.net) wrote:

> >The CD-RW should be mountable just as any standard block device,
> >and the standard file commands (cp,mv,rm, etc.) should work without any
> >special program (other than the new kernel or module loaded).
>
> It allready does that, and has done so for ages. If you can read
> a CD, or a CDR on your drive, and if the drive is CDRW multiread
> compliant, then you can mount a CDRW just like any other disk.

I haven't actually tried this, but even if you can, it's worth
bearing in mind that the media has a *much* shorter life-span
than a normal hard disk. From memory, most support something
like 500,000 rewrites. On a normally mounted filesystem, that's
not going to last very long before you start looking at data
corruption. CD-RWs are really much better suited to occasional
write usage, like rotated media for daily backups than for
everyday use with a general filesystem like ext2.

Tet

--
You have moved the mouse. NT must be restarted for the changes to take effect.