Re: Stupid Linux Distributions

Oscar Levi (elf@buici.com)
Sun, 16 May 1999 10:48:24 -0700

On Sat, May 15, 1999 at 02:05:03PM -0400, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> Ugh. Why do they have to patch the kernel before they send it off in a
> distribtuion? I've seen this in the two distros that I've used -- Red Hat
> and Slackware. =( Is there any Linux distro that uses a vanilla kernel?

That is unlikely. When you ever build a unpatched kernel, you'll find
that the device drivers that you need are unlikely to be built. There
is little we can do about this. Any decent distribution will give you
a patch file showing the changes that they've made. From that you'll
be able to deduce whether or not they're patching the kernel or
reconfiguring it.

On inspecting the Debian kernel patches for 2.0.36, I see that they
added several of the patches that the King does not deem worthy: e.g.
microchannel, PS/2 ESDI, a new AIC7xxx driver.

Remember that distributions have the additional burden of making their
CD install on as many machines as they can.

Cheers.

-O