Re: 2.3.x wish list?

Santos Halpar (sjhalpar@yahoo.com)
Fri, 14 May 1999 22:02:28 -0700 (PDT)

[There is kernel content in here if you skip the first paragraph,
honest]
--- "Michael B. Trausch" <mtrausch@wcnet.org> wrote:
> From what I read, the 9th Circuit court ruling is the law until the

> US Supreme Court overturns it -- period.

The 9th Circuit court has limited jurisdiction -- appropriately
enough, its area of jurisdiction is the 9th circuit (which includes
Alaska, Hawaii, and a bunch of western states including California
and Washington state). Most of the US is outside its jurisdiction,
so
the recent ruling is suggestive but not binding to courts in most of
the nation. A Supreme Court decision would extend the ruling to the
entire nation.

> It seems to me that if the export controls on the crypto are
> released in the US for open-source projects, that the groups could
> base themselves in the United States. It seems to me like that
> would work, wouldn't it?

Well, kind of. People in the US could contribute to the
international
kernel. Whether or not the official Linus kernel could contain
crypto &c depends on whether or not we want to shut out people in
France, Russia, Argentina, and other nations from using the official
kernel.

International kernel: ftp.kerneli.org

> BTW, can someone give me a link to this so called "reiser fs"?

Search engines are your friend. The first hit www.google.com gave
me when I searched for "reiser fs":

http://www.idiom.com/~beverly/reiserfs.html

which is a mirror of the homepage with links to other mirrors.
Google's a good search engine when you are searching for a
canonical page.

--Sumner