Re: 2.3.x wish list?

Michael B. Trausch (mtrausch@wcnet.org)
Fri, 14 May 1999 17:39:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 13 May 1999 mark@hoist.nlcomm.com wrote:

> - Encryption at the IP level (IPsec?)
>
> Non-exportable, so cannot go into the standard kernel.

Wrong. There is a court ruling that says that if source code to
encryption is available, then the encryption is ruled as speech and as
such, it is unconstitutional to limit the exportation of it.

I don't have the URL on hand... but you can search the Internet (probably
at www.dogpile.com) for cryptology on it -- Search all the newswires.

> Lower bit rates are exportable; 40 bit. Easy to crack but at
> least it's there by default, and patchable.
>
> - ext2 is showing its age on larger partitions; my 3 9 gig drives
> take about a half hour to fsck, and up to a minute just to mount.
>
> Solved by Stephen Tweedie's ongoing logging filesystem work.
>
> I tried to do a net search for this but couldn't find any info.
> Is there a web address or ftp address handy?

Michael B. Trausch
President of Linux Operations, ADK Computers