Re: [Godwin] Re: Kernel Nazis/LinBSD (was Re: Slashdot shitheads)

Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Fri, 14 May 1999 18:32:55 -0400 (EDT)

Alexander Viro writes:
> On Thu, 13 May 1999 kernel@draper.net Godwinated the thread and wrote:

>> Perhaps we should rename Linux to LinBSD and establish a politburo
>> censorship committee. We can thus shield ourselves from the good
>> ideas and hard work that originates among the unwashed masses.

Oh yes, the Slashdot shitheads must be banned from linux-kernel.
Let's start with Alan Cox. No, wait, how about alex@eos.co.uk?

>> Open Source cannot possibly benefit from scrutiny by those who frequent
>> Slashdot, eh? I wonder... does the same criticism we apply to Slashdot
>> also apply to those who frequent this list...
>
> Scrutiny? Why, if you are going to help doing VFS audit I would be *glad*
> to accept your help. I'm sure that VM and networking folks would also
> happily accept such assistance.

It is very easy to scan patches for mistakes. Anybody with a clue should
do it, because different people will often spot different problems.

(for the newbie: fix the problem, then do "diff -u old new" and send the
output to this list, a maintainer, or torvalds@transmeta.com)

>> It seems that the "inner circle" of kernel developers concur with your
>> argument. The truly important LinBSD discussions are now appearing
>
> Wow. BSD became a dirty word... Impressive.

Of course. UNIX rules. BSD sucks.

>> less and less frequently on this list. Maybe the real work is being done
>> in some secret meeting place where the signal to noise ratio is lower.
>
> Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep... BTW, ITYM "higher" ;-)
> Not really. And There Is No Secret Meeting Place.

Gee, wonder what you would call the secret mailing lists we are on?
OK, a mailing list isn't a "Place", but still...

>> Otherwise, please climb down from your high horses, help some newbies
>> along in their trek to enlightenment, and welcome their help in our quest
>> for world domination.
>
> For WHAT??? Maybe *you* need a world domination. I'ld prefer a
> really good OS.

Why I even responded to this trash:

"world domination" and "really good OS" are closely related, assuming you
like hardware support and open protocols.

I'm going to love WinMotherboards and encrypted WinDNS.