Re: All the problems with 2.2.8/2.3.x and bdflush/update

Zack Weinberg (zack@rabi.columbia.edu)
Fri, 14 May 1999 22:20:17 -0400

On Fri, 14 May 1999 21:34:22 -0400, "David J. Fred" wrote:

> >Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 19:29:48 -0400
> >From: Zack Weinberg <zack@rabi.columbia.edu>
>
> >1. Don't run update with 2.2.8. It's unnecessary and it's causing
> >filesystem corruption for some people. This has to be a bug somewhere
> >else in the kernel; update is simply calling sync() every thirty
> >seconds.
>
>Have the cases of corruption been detectable with 'fsck -f' or is the
>data itself corrupted, rather than the filesystem structure?
>
>This information would be helpful to determine how to proceed with
>systems which were running 2.2.8 and update.

Both data and filesystem structure were corrupted.

However, this has been determined to be due to a race condition in
wakeup_bdflush which has been corrected in 2.3.1. I haven't looked at
2.2.9. The bdflush changes that exposed the bug have been backed out
of both 2.2.9 and 2.3.1.

I am going to reissue the original patch against 2.3.1 (and possibly
2.3.1-arca) after I shake some more bugs out of it.

zw