Re: Ken Thompson interview in IEEE Computer magazine (fwd)

Kai Henningsen (kaih@khms.westfalen.de)
13 May 1999 19:19:00 +0200

lm@bitmover.com (Larry McVoy) wrote on 05.05.99 in <199905052352.QAA19518@bitmover.com>:

> Banks put your bank accounts on IBM mainframes, on HP boxes, on Solaris
> boxes, maybe (but unlikely) on DEC Alpha boxes. In roughly that order.
> Ditto for airline reservations, power grids, etc.

I seem to recall more than one article in the Linux Journal pointing out
that Virginia Power runs much of its power grids on Linux, replacing
proprietary hardware (and seriously improving the reliability). Some
proprietary hardware remains. None of your well-known systems in the
picture that I recall, *except* for Linux.

MfG Kai