Re: [Patch:] for Kernel 2.2.7: bugfixes for ISO-FS, Atari partit

Wolfram Kleff (wkleff@bigfoot.com)
Wed, 12 May 1999 23:56:31 +0200 (CEST)

On 12-May-99 Guest section DW wrote:
> From: Wolfram Kleff <wkleff@bigfoot.com>
>
> This patch for Linux 2.2.7 contains some bug fixes:

> - The uid of the user who mounted the fs is now visible in /proc/mounts
> (last
> number).
>
> I have not looked at the code, but I have one concern:
> Maybe it is a bad idea to change the format of /proc/mounts.
> It is not only information to look at - some people make
> /etc/mtab a symlink to /proc/mounts, which means that various
> programs will try to parse this file, and fail if the format
> changes and the program is badly written.
>
> Maybe there are no such badly written programs around,
> but just to be sure, and also for future expansion, I think
> that it would be better to not have a separate field but use
> the option string instead, say, appending
> ,mountuseruid=uid
> to it (maybe only when uid is nonzero, so that in most cases
> nothing changes).
>
> Andries

Well, I'm using this patch for more than 2 years now (2.0 kernels), using
various Linux Distributions (Debian, SuSE, Redhat) and have never experienced
any problems. So this should be save to patch now.
The main reason it's in /proc/mounts, is because more advanced "mount" and
"umount" (and other programs) need it (and set it in /etc/mtab).
And yes, I always symlink /etc/mtab to /proc/mounts for many reasons.