Re: PATCH: rewritten bdflush

Steve Willer (willer@interlog.com)
Thu, 13 May 1999 14:42:30 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 13 May 1999, Rik van Riel wrote:

> I think we might want to change the kernel's behaviour
> to include the following things:
> - don't flush if:
> - there are less than X dirty buffers &&
> - we haven't recently read from the disk

You're ignoring very important issues of recoverability. If a process is
doing work that involves writing to disk, then it should be written out
regardless of whether the disk is shut down or not.

If you're concerned about writes because of atime modifications, then I
would suggest you turn off atime modification.

> - flush if:
> - there are more than X dirty buffers ||
> - we issued a read from the disk more than
> Y and less than Z seconds ago ||
> - the dirty buffer is FAR too old
> (say, an hour or so)

You can do the first and last one by tweaking the bdflush parameters.