Re: [RFT] 2.2.8_andrea1 wake-one [Re: Overscheduling DOES happen

Andrea Arcangeli (andrea@e-mind.com)
Thu, 13 May 1999 20:58:44 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 13 May 1999, David S. Miller wrote:

>"Completely"? I beg to differ, watch and you will see that on every
>new TCP connection, there will be 2 spurious and unnecessary wakeups,

Ah I didn't thought about this. Right.

Hmm maybe this is the reason I couldn't understand for which apache sleeps
in flock(LOCK_EX) instead of in accept(2)? If there was 10 apache task
sleeping in accpet(2) then there would been as worse 30 reschedule where
only 1 task would go ahead accepting the connection for real.

Anyway I rejected from my tree my version of the wake-one since with my
approch wake_up continue to browse the whole list of sleepers (it can
address only the overschedule problem). I don't think there will be
interest in my approch since 2.3.1 will do the better thing.

Andrea Arcangeli