Re: 2.2.8pre6, can't run ZMAGIC binaries

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
13 May 1999 15:40:29 -0700

In article <linux.kernel.E10htB2-0001Df-00@the-village.bc.nu>,
Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
>> >I have a patch (I'm planning to submit in early 2.3) that causes
>> >a.out binaries that ar 1kB aligned to be read totally into anonymous memory
>> >when they are started, keeping functionality but not optimum memory sharing...
>>
>> As someone who's got a 99.44% [1] a.out linux distribution, I think
>> this is a really REALLY bad idea. Building a.out objects is
>> already, umm, interesting enough without having to worry about an
>> ongoing war against the kernel.
>
>Your a.out binaries will be 4K aligned.

Not the old zmagic ones that are on Pell.

>BTW does this mean you've done the fixes to make libc4 believe in years after
>1999 ?

Yes, of course; nobody else is maintaining libc 4 anymore.

____
david parsons \bi/ Though I'm saving Pell to see what dies when the clock
\/ rolls over.