Kernel Nazis/LinBSD (was Re: Slashdot shitheads)

kernel@draper.net
Thu, 13 May 1999 09:41:52 -0500

On Wed, May 12, 1999 at 07:33:13PM -0400, Alexander Viro wrote:

> On Wed, 12 May 1999 alex@eos.co.uk wrote:
>
> > Why was the release of 2.3.0 kernel announced on slashdot? Now we'll get
> > clueless fuckwits installing broken 2.3.x kernels and complaining loudly
> > that it sucks simply because they don't realise it is a DEVELOPMENT
> > kernel!
> >

> Definitely tempting idea, but... It Would Be Wrong ;-< Hey, wait! What
> about dropping connections to SplashSnort IP addresses? OTOH... Nah. Will
> not work. Most of them are using Windows or Macs anyway... Sigh...

ENOUGH! This arrogant "Holier Than Thou" discussion is vile and evil.

Perhaps we should rename Linux to LinBSD and establish a politburo
censorship committee. We can thus shield ourselves from the good
ideas and hard work that originates among the unwashed masses.

Open Source cannot possibly benefit from scrutiny by those who frequent
Slashdot, eh? I wonder... does the same criticism we apply to Slashdot
also apply to those who frequent this list...

It seems that the "inner circle" of kernel developers concur with your
argument. The truly important LinBSD discussions are now appearing
less and less frequently on this list. Maybe the real work is being done
in some secret meeting place where the signal to noise ratio is lower.

Congratulations people, you have already achieved that which you wish for.

The strength of Open Source derives from the practice of TEACHING OTHERS
CORRECT PRINCIPLES AND THEN ALLOWING THEM TO ACT FOR THEMSELVES!

If you advocate exclusionary development practices then lets sell LinBSD
rights to some commercial interest with deep pockets and make some
real money.

Otherwise, please climb down from your high horses, help some newbies
along in their trek to enlightenment, and welcome their help in our quest
for world domination.

Reed H. Petty
rhp@draper.net