Re: PATCH: rewritten bdflush

Marc Lehmann (pcg@goof.com)
Wed, 12 May 1999 04:00:23 +0200

On Tue, May 11, 1999 at 12:13:30PM -0400, Zack Weinberg wrote:

> There is one notable side effect: you don't have to run the user space
> update anymore, bdflush wakes up every so often all by itself. I

How about notebook users who have configured update to stop writing out
buffers and spin down disks after some idle time?

Does you patch implement something similar or do we need to spin up drives
every 5 seconds? ;)

This is a real concern for me, as I want to get some sleep during the
nights (and I can't sleep with harddisks running ;)

--