RE: The WHY's (RE: ide drive w/dma ... system crash)

Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl
Wed, 12 May 1999 02:02:25 +0200 (MET DST)

From hedrick@Astro.Dyer.Vanderbilt.Edu Tue May 11 19:56:07 1999

On Tue, 11 May 1999, BROWN Nick wrote:

> If you mean the HDIO_GETBIOS ioctl which is currently in "#if 0" in
> sd_ioctl.c, then I think it should go to the trash, because I think we may
> be in danger of building a house of cards here. The whole ioctl can be
> removed, I think (*).

Wait.......Andries busted his nuts to get this to work and it took a 2x4
framing board over my head to believe him. The fact is that he has a
viable option and should be considered.

I won't contradict you, but please - not so impatient.
The two of you are talking as if there is a proposed kernel patch
by me involving HDIO_GETBIOS, but there is no such patch.

On the other hand, there is a patch that I sent to a few people,
maybe including HJLu, you and Alan, that fixes a few problems.
In the meantime I have learned a bit more more about EZDrive,
so that patch has to be adapted a little bit.
A patch along those lines is fit for inclusion in the kernel today.
(Hope to mail you sth one of these days, but not this week -
too many other things.)

> - I don't think I'm insulting Andries if I say that his patch has introduced
> a non-trivial amount of hair; notably the manual calculation of the 0x22c
> offset to more_drive_info which is an "accident waiting to happen".

You should note that it is not impliment for full use yet.
It is present for a test-touch-feel. Only a fool would try to make this
standard in its infant form. If is a direction that needs to be
considered.

Ah - yes.

[Hope to look at your patch soon - Ah, why are there only 24 hours in a day..]