Re: More Andre IDE "golf" testing

Andre M. Hedrick (hedrick@Astro.Dyer.Vanderbilt.Edu)
Tue, 11 May 1999 17:07:51 -0500 (CDT)

Sheesh, did you throw a spindle on the drive or grind a head?
I never expected anyone to throttle the driver that hard.
Did the data integrity remain in tact?

On Tue, 11 May 1999, Dax Kelson wrote:

> For the past 20 hours I've been stressing disk IO mightly on a machine
> (Pentium 120 with 64MB ram) with Andre's patches.
>
> motherboard ide controller:
> hda: Samsung EIDE drive
> hdc: 4x IDE CDROM
>
> promise ultra66 controller:
> hde: IBM 22GB Ultra66 drive
>
> I had these tasks running continuously and simultaneously:
>
> 1. moving a 200MB file back and forth between hde and hda
> 2. copying about 400MB of 3-5MB sized files between hde and hda
> 3. copying about 300MB of small files between hda and hde
> 4. copying 200MB of 3-5MB sized files from hdc (cdrom) to hda
> 5. copying 200MB of 3-5MB sizes files from hdc (cdrom to hde
> 6. FTP putting a 200MB file onto hda
> 7. FTP putting a 200MB file onto hde
> 8. find /
>
> The machine ran great with no IDE problems. I did turn up another bug in
> the latest RealTek 8139 driver. After about an hour the machine locked
> with ethernet errors. I replaced the ethernet card with a generic ISA
> NE2000 card and continued the testing without incident.
>
> In short, the new IDE "golf" drivers performed great with no errors
> during the testing. During the 20 hours, I moved about 520GB of data
> around.
>
> Also, of note, the 2.2.7 kernel has superb interactive feel under heavy
> load. It would seem to "pause" when I would start a new task, but would
> come responsive again 45-60 seconds later.

Given the earlier bonnie numbers the CPU load must have been unreal.

> Dax Kelson

Andre Hedrick
The Linux IDE guy

Candidate for pre-patch-2.2.8-series or pre-patch-2.2.9-series
http://www.dyer.vanderbilt.edu/server/udma/
2.2.7.uniform-ide-6.19.golf.patch.gz

http://www.dyer.vanderbilt.edu/server/udma/2.2.7.uniform-ide-6.19.patch.gz
http://www.dyer.vanderbilt.edu/server/udma/ide.2.0.37pre11+pat7.gz