Re: IDT Winchip

rene.rebe (rene.rebe@t-online.de)
Tue, 11 May 1999 19:50:45 +0200

Nick wrote:

> I just received a new Cyrix MII (for me) and a 200 MHz IDT Winchip (for my
> neighbour, who has a single-voltage motherboard).
>
> Checking them out on my system, I found that with the Winchip in place, my
> BIOS only detected the first 96 MB of memory in my 128 MB system. Apart
> from that, Linux worked like a champ, and I got performance equivalent to a
> 233 MHz Pentium on my personal chess benchmark (which is no less silly than
> bogomips, IMHO).
>
> So, for the CPU gurus:
> - Is there any explicit code for the Winchip in Linux ?
> - Which processor type group should I compile the kernel for ?
> - Any idea why it only saw 96 MB of memory ?
> And, does anyone have anything they need checking out for compatibility with
> this chip ? I've got cycles to spare...

-I have a IDT Winchip 240 running under Linux myself on a SIS chipset based
board (and you??) and i have no problem with my 128 MB RAM.

-I can only run my Winchip with 486 optimization. With higher (pentium...)
my system crashes after 1-5 hours!!! (no debug-reg output, not pingable ...)
(i'm not sure wheather i tryed newer kernels than 2.2.5 :-( )

Rene