Re: Suggestion(?): new ioctl: "resolve hw address and update arp cache"

Fred Reimer (Fred.Reimer@bellsouth.net)
Tue, 11 May 1999 09:37:52 -0400

Why not use the netlink or ethertap or whatever interface to look at all
reply packets when you send out your query? That should give you the whole
Ethernet packet, and not just the TCP portion, IIRC. You could even use the
packet filter interface to only look at packets from the IP address you're
interested in, right?

I don't think that the kernel is the appropriate place to do this. If you
want a "simple" way of doing this, send out a ping to the IP address. The
kernel should do the arp, and cache the entry if the host responds. They
you can check the arp cache as "normal." Doesn't seem like it would cause
any undo traffic on the network...

I don't understand why this is a "kludge." It's the way TCP/IP works,
right?

HTH,

Fred