Re: [patch] new scheduler

Ingo Molnar (mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu)
Tue, 11 May 1999 10:36:01 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 11 May 1999, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> >On Mon, 10 May 1999, Rik van Riel wrote:
> >
> >> that need to be done (now that the scheduling seems to
> >> be good enough in 2.2.8, with only a superfluous
> >> reschedule_idle() in schedule_tail()).
> >
> >why do you think it is superfluous?
>
> The reschedule_idle() in schedule_tail is there only to handle the case
> where the `prev' task is been rescheduled due a reschedule_idle()
> call (##).
>
> But if it's been rescheduled due a reschedule_idle() it means that:
>
> 1) there are no idle cpu in the system
> 2) the prev task was in general the less priority one

wrong. We actively _preempt_ processes on other CPUs, this means that a
preempted process has all rights to try to replace even lesser priority
processes on other CPUs. Your problem might be that you are thinking in
terms of dual-CPU boxes, i'm using a quad one. (btw, even on a dual box it
is possible to 'push' a process to another CPU, although it's not the
common case)

-- mingo