Re: what is the "best" RAID 5 scsi controller?

Sergey Kubushin (ksi@ksi-linux.com)
Tue, 11 May 1999 10:41:19 +0300 (EEST)

On Mon, 10 May 1999, Paul Slootman wrote:

> The thing I'm wondering about is support for the specific RAID-5
> features from within the Linux environment. E.g., how is failure of a
> drive reported (if at all)? I'd like a message in the syslog, at the
> least... A utility for checking the status / configuring the RAID
> subsystem would also be a must; I'd hate having to reboot into DOS or
> even --horrors-- NT to do that. Even using the onboard BIOS firmware
> isn't something I'd want.
>
> All the RAID controllers I've seen have pretty NT programs for
> configuring and monitoring the RAID subsystem, but not for anything
> else (except perhaps SCO Unix...)

The most Linux-friendly RAID controllers this days are made by ICP Vortex. I
do use several their beasts and I'm completely satisfacted with their
performance, reliability and Linux support. And they do have native Linux
software for monitoring and configuring the controller ;))

:)