Re: Linux can't stay up for more than an hour?

Robert Minichino (linuxkrn@pasture.net)
Mon, 10 May 1999 23:18:12 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 10 May 1999, Greg Lindahl wrote:
> > > It is hard to increase cpu<->ram bandwidth these days.
> > Sun seems to do it by interleaving memory up to four (maybe even eight) times.
> This technique has been around for far longer than Sun has been a company.

A new term I've heard for it is "ABP" (Address Bit Permutation). Same
stuff, new name.

> > I assume Intel
> > and other are doing the same with their high-end serverboards (Xeon and that
> > kind of stuff).
> No, the Xeons seem to have the same sucky motherboards as the rest of
> Intel's stuff. If you need main memory bandwidth and you have that
> kind of money, buy an Alpha DS20.

We sell four different quad Xeon mainboards that do 4:1 interleaving, two
from AMD and two from Intel. I have yet to measure the memory bandwidth
of the systems as of late; I will have to put together a benchmark
session.

--
Robert Minichino
Chief Engineer