Re: [patch] new scheduler

Rik van Riel (riel@nl.linux.org)
Mon, 10 May 1999 22:14:27 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 10 May 1999, Michel LESPINASSE wrote:

> As a side remark, one should note that you do not need to write
> malicious programs to observe this limitation of the CPU time
> accounting in Linux. I'm working on a realtime video processing
> application right now and it is quite hard to time, because of the
> time accounting limitations.

This is an area which _can_ be adressed cheaply in the
current code. We're already using the TSC counter for
scheduling purposes, so why not use it for near-perfect
time accounting?

I guess I'll completely give up on my scheduler changes
until there's some instrumentation available to measure
things. Besides, there are more then enough other things
that need to be done (now that the scheduling seems to
be good enough in 2.2.8, with only a superfluous
reschedule_idle() in schedule_tail()).

Finger me for more details...

cheers,

Rik -- Open Source: you deserve to be in control of your data.