ATAPI device barfing on vanilla 2.2.7 and 2.2.7-ac2

juziel@home.com
Mon, 10 May 1999 06:23:58 -0700 (PDT)

Forwarded on behalf of a friend who is having trouble posting
posting to this mailing list (ie. send to him, not me)...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jonathan Walther <krooger@debian.org>
To: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
Subject: ATAPI device barfing on vanilla 2.2.7 and 2.2.7-ac2

Im getting this error on the 14th track of my Philip Glass CD when using
cdparanoia. Can anyone give a prelim diagnostic? Is it like to be a
cdparanoia bug, ide/atapi driver bug, or an error in the cdrom itself? The
cd isn't scratched or warped, and it plays just fine on a regular cd player.

UPDATE: Its not a cd error, because I get it on the last track of my Gypsy
Kings CD, and some others. So its either a cdparanoia error or a kernel
bug. How could cdparanoia cause this though? I haven't heard of anyone else
getting this error from it.

These error packets just keep on coming and coming and coming until I kill
the process. Im not getting the error with other CD's.
hdb: packet command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdb: packet command error: error=0x54
ATAPI device hdb:
Error: Illegal request -- (Sense key=0x05)
Illegal mode for this track or incompatible medium -- (asc=0x64,
ascq=0x00)
The failed "<NULL>" packet command was:
"be 04 00 04 06 fb 00 00 08 f8 00 00 "
hdb: packet command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdb: packet command error: error=0x54
ATAPI device hdb:
Error: Illegal request -- (Sense key=0x05)
Illegal mode for this track or incompatible medium -- (asc=0x64,
ascq=0x00)
The failed "<NULL>" packet command was:
"be 04 00 04 06 fb 00 00 08 f8 00 00 "
hdb: packet command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hdb: packet command error: error=0x54
ATAPI device hdb:
Error: Illegal request -- (Sense key=0x05)
Illegal mode for this track or incompatible medium -- (asc=0x64,
ascq=0x00)
The failed "<NULL>" packet command was:
"be 04 00 04 06 fb 00 00 08 f8 00 00 "
---------------------- Error Here -------------------------

Here is the details of the CDROM drive I have:

$ cat /proc/ide/hdb/model
DELTA OPC-K101/ST1 F/W by OIPD
ide-cdrom version 4.53
tijuana# cat settings
name value min max mode
---- ----- --- --- ----
breada_readahead 4 0 127 rw
dsc_overlap 1 0 1 rw
file_readahead 72 0 2097151 rw
io_32bit 0 0 3 rw
keepsettings 0 0 1 rw
max_kb_per_request 122 1 127 rw
nice1 1 0 1 rw
pio_mode write-only 0 255 w
slow 0 0 1 rw
unmaskirq 0 0 1 rw
using_dma 1 0 1 rw

Im fairly certain it wasn't the CD that is at fault. Nor is it cdparanoia
that is at fault: it successfully ripped the same CD earlier. The only
thing that changed was I upgraded from my ancient 4x speed Goldstar cdrom
drive to a new 40x Retail Plus+ cdrom drive. Has anyone else had problems
with these drives? Root access on my server, lambdamoo.to to any kernel
developer who'd like to poke around and see what the problem is.

Jonathan