Re: Overscheduling DOES happen with high web server load.

Ingo Molnar (mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu)
Sun, 9 May 1999 19:33:44 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 9 May 1999, Rik van Riel wrote:

> I've read the patch and think you're right about this one.
> Under normal loads 2.2.8 will have no problems at all except
> possibly the fact that it calls reschedule_idle() twice on
> most reschedules [...]

what do you mean? We call reschedule_idle() only when a process 1) gets
runnable 2) gets scheduled away (but is still runnable). These are two
different situations.

> [...] and the fact that the kernel still recalculates
> the priority of _all_ processes as soon as one process runs
> out of it's time slice.

this recalculation argument is a complete red herring. I've explained this
earlier too: the number of recalculations happens at a _constant
frequency_, with the additional mechanizm that there are less
recalculations if there are more CPU-bound processes. The goal is to have
tasks' increase their 'dynamic priority' even if they are not on the
runqueue. So any architectural change that concentrates on removing these
recalculations is seriously misguided.