Re: Overscheduling DOES happen with high web server load.

Rik van Riel (riel@nl.linux.org)
Sun, 9 May 1999 18:21:55 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 8 May 1999, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> On Fri, 7 May 1999, Rik van Riel wrote:
>
> > [...], but I think we _will_
> > have to think up something to make the current scheduler
> > more responsive and more predictable under load [...]
>
> do you still see responsiveness problems under pre4-2.2.8? If yes
> then i'd be very interested in reproducing it.

I've read the patch and think you're right about this one.
Under normal loads 2.2.8 will have no problems at all except
possibly the fact that it calls reschedule_idle() twice on
most reschedules and the fact that the kernel still recalculates
the priority of _all_ processes as soon as one process runs
out of it's time slice.

> > [...] and to
> > reduce the CPU time used by niced tasks.
>
> this can be achieved by increasing (or changing) the scale of
> priorities. (this can be done seemlessly)

More importantly, it can be done without an increase in
the scheduling overhead and with removal of the current
process recalculation ritual.

It will increase SMP scalability of the scheduler, allow
for a wider priority scale and maybe even decrease scheduler
overhead (I'm not sure about the last one being measurable
though)...

cheers,

Rik -- Open Source: you deserve to be in control of your data.