Re: 2.2.7 fixes Apache problem? (Was: Re: 2.2.5 optimizations for web benchmarks?)

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
9 May 1999 04:43:56 GMT

In article <19990509003534.28620.rocketmail@send205.yahoomail.com>,
Cacophonix Gaul <cacophonix@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Again, as I mentioned, I haven't been able to explain this
>on 2.2.5. The problem does not occur in 2.2.7, but that's
>possibly because I'm unable to saturate apache on my
>system.

I wonder if it might not be bad apache interaction: the fact that
restarting apache makes it go away makes me wonder if it's not apache
(rather than the kernel) that gets into some "slow start" state. It
would probably be instructive to do an "strace" of apache in the slow
state..

Linus