[OT] Re: Mindcraft III

M.Brands (shrike@il.fontys.nl)
Sat, 8 May 1999 15:21:56 +0200

On Sat, May 08, 1999 at 12:22:46PM +0200, Mikulas Patocka allegedly wrote:
> > One novice question. How are "Well" configured NT's in comparison with
> > "Well" tuned Linux boxes ?In the best possible case, we should beat NT like
> > a drum( as tested by zdnet.com ). The question is whether this can be
> > replicated in the Mindcraft.
>
> There's one more bad thing in Mindcraft tests. They're testing Linux and
> NT server with 95 clients and SMB protocol. SMB is the native protocol of
> NT, I don't wonder that it's faster (NT has SMB wired in kernel; in Linux
> it's just userspace program). The same way NFS is surely faster under
> Linux (knfsd) than NT. Somebody setting up linux network certainly won't
> run samba on linux server and smb client on linux workstations. Mindcraft
> is doing like SMB is the only file protocol and 95 is the only client!
> Grrr... They are still under control of Micro$hit.

But that's the point. They're testing wether NT or Linux is faster as an NT
fileserver. If the results come out positive for Linux, you've got some more
material you can use to convince the department's manager that they shouldn't
replace the aging NT server with new hardware, but with Linux.

> If you want some results, it's easy to pick up one of these 16
> configurations, do tests and get results you wanted. If you test NT versus
> Linux server with Linux clients over NFS or CODA, you can surely prove,
> that linux is 10 times faster... Or - if you test it on a server with 16M
> ram, you get that Linux is 100000 times faster :-)

Likewise, if you test with a SCSI controller (say a nice RAID controller) that
isn't supported by Linux, you can prove NT is infinitely faster on that
particular hardware (but it's kind of silly).

> The fact that Mindcraft ignores all other clients and protocols should
> have been criticized more than bad tuned Linux.

Companies are looking into replacing an NT server with a Linux server. The
Linux box would have to provide the same services as the NT server and would
have to be cheaper and faster. However, a lot of managers don't realise you
need someone with some UNIX knowledge to maintain that box. If this knowledge
isn't available, than it's probably not worth it, even if the Linux box is
twice as fast and twice as cheap. You would have to get somebody trained and
that would surely cost more.

My $.02,

Mathijs