Re: xenix 286 emulation. Any hope at all?

Steve Glines (sglines@sglines.shore.net)
Sat, 08 May 1999 08:24:36 -0400

Evan Leibovitch wrote:

> On Fri, 7 May 1999, Steve Glines wrote:
>
> > > I am working on a project in which I persuaded the company to go Linux
> > > rather than SCO. I'm not sure how critical this is yet, but it turns
> > > out that one of the ececutables that may have to work on this RH6.0
> > > kernel 2.2.5 system is an ancient Xenix286 executable. I usually just
> > > leave X286 emulation commented out and as I recall it won't even compile
> > > and is no longer maintained. Can anyone give me any words of advice,
> > > encouragement, or just break it to me gently? ;-)
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Steve
> >
> > Go with SCO. :(
>
> To be specific, OpenServer, if you must. UnixWare, relase 7.0 and beyond,
> now has no Xenix emulation, after their settlement with Microsoft.
>
> - Evan

I'm in the process of converting a client with a very old Altos. I had
to go with SCO cause the 286 emulation was broke under Red Hat. Boy
would it be nice if the good folks at RedHat made the effort to finish
the 286 emulation. I know there would be lots of old Altos converts.

cheers
Steve Glines