Re: Enable use of ipfwadm with Kernel 2.2.2.

William Stearns (wstearns@pobox.com)
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 11:30:24 -0400 (EDT)

Good day, An,

On Sat, 24 Apr 1999, An Khanh Duy Nguyen wrote:

> I'm having problems with forwarding packets with kernel 2.2.4.
> IP masquerade used to work in my Red Hat 5.2 kernel 2.0.36 system
> but since I've upraded to kernel 2.2.4, it stopped working. I've checked
> the network configuration options many times and don't think I left
> out any required options. Anyone managed to get IP maquerade to work with
> kernel 2.2.4? Any help would be appreciated.

This thread really belongs on either the ip-masq or the ipchains
list. Please use one of those lists in the future or carry it to private
mail.

Try adding the following to /etc/rc.d/rc.local, changing
"172.16.0.0/255.255.255.0" to the appropriate network/netmask for your
internal network. Make sure you have ip forwarding turned on (see the IP
Masquerade resource for instructions on how to do this, or see the
documentation for your distribution.

if [ -f /proc/net/ip_fwchains ]; then
#Place the ipchains versions of your rules here
#Masquerade from internal lan out
/sbin/ipchains -A forward -s 172.16.0.0/255.255.255.0 -j MASQ
elif [ -f /proc/net/ip_input ]; then
#Place the ipfwadm versions of your rules here.
#Masquerade from internal lan out
/sbin/ipfwadm -F -a accept -m -S 172.16.0.0/255.255.255.0
fi

Cheers,
- Bill

The IPChains homepage:
http://www.rustcorp.com/linux/ipchains/

The IP Masquerade Resource:
http://ipmasq.cjb.net

"It is difficult to produce a television documentary that is both
incisive and probing when every twelve minutes one is interrupted by
twelve dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper."
-- Rod Serling
(Courtesy of Dr. G.W. Wettstein <greg@wind.enjellic.com>)