Re: README no longer mentions symlinks for includes

Miquel van Smoorenburg (miquels@cistron.nl)
22 Apr 1999 16:14:43 +0200

In article <cistron.435C366F075ED211B12200204840172D703D7D@PETITSUIX>,
BROWN Nick <Nick.BROWN@coe.fr> wrote:
>I notice that the kernel source README (in 2.2.2, anyway) no longer includes
>the warning that was in 2.0.36, that /usr/include/{asm|linux|scsi} should be
>symlinks to the kernel source tree.

And they shouldn't be if you're running glibc.

>This crept up and got me earlier today
>as I was compiling a 2.2.x kernel on a Debian 2.0.36-based system - Debian
>appears to install the /usr/include/asm files in place, since the kernel
>sources aren't there by default.

Debian has since a long, long time included it's own kernel headers-
even with libc5. Read /usr/doc/libc6-dev/FAQ.Debian.gz for more info.

>Maybe the 2.2 kernel compilation is meant to automagically work around this,

The kernel doesn't refer to /usr/include. Ever. That has been so for
a couple of years as well ...

>but on my system it seemed like I was compiling against lots of 2.0.36
>include files.

Why? What happened?

>It could be something else causing the problem, but when I zapped the three
>offending directories and replaced them with symlinks, everything worked at
>once.

It's probaly something else. You've just ruined the debian libc6-dev
package and will run into trouble when upgrading.

Mike.

--
Indifference will certainly be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?