Re: problems with video card after hw upgrade

Gabriel Paubert (paubert@iram.es)
Thu, 22 Apr 1999 02:51:41 +0200 (METDST)

On Wed, 21 Apr 1999, Q wrote:

> I just bought myself a new motherboard (Asus P5A-B), with an AMD K6-2,
> 366 MHz. I used my old video card, with an S3 Trio64 on it, and I'm
> having problems with it.
>
> When I'm using something higer then 640x480x16, I get all these vertical
> black lines on my screen.
>
> When starting X this is what I get:
>
> (--) S3: chipset: Trio64 rev. 10
> (--) S3: chipset driver: mmio_928
> (--) S3: card type: PCI
> (--) S3: videoram: 2048k
> (--) S3: Ramdac type: s3_trio64
> (--) S3: Ramdac speed: 135 MHz
> (--) S3: Using Trio32/64 programmable clock (MCLK 56.080 MHz)
> (--) S3: Maximum allowed dot-clock: 135.000 MHz
> (--) S3: Virtual resolution set to 1024x768
> (--) S3: Local bus LAW is 0xDF000000

This address is not possible as far as I remember since it needs to be on
a 64 Mb boundary. However S3 has managed to screw up one of the simplest
rules of PCI configuration register spaces: that you can only tell the
amount of memory a board uses by writing all ones and reading back.

My Trio64 claims it needs 8 Mb when actually it occupies 64Mb. Some
BIOSes know this and work around the problem, others don't (I don't blame
the BIOSes, it's a very serious bug from S3).

So we have to find a 64 Mb hole where to put the board. What does lspci -v
or cat /proc/pci tell about your PCI devices ?

(you should say which version of the kernel you use).

> (--) S3: Using a banksize of 2048k, line width of 1024
> (--) S3: WARNING: S3 968 dashed line malfunction

Gabriel.